How to Apply for Workers’ Compensation in Columbia

Whether you suffer from a scratch, a broken bone, or something more traumatic, it is the responsibility of your employer to take care of you when you get injured on the job. Still, that doesn’t make the workers’ compensation process any less tedious or tiring. There are actions that you, the injured worker, need to take in order to have your injury taken seriously.

Yet, of the over 90,000 people who were injured at work last year, so many do not know what the proper steps are. When you want to know how apply for workers’ compensation in Columbia, you should seek the opinion and advice of an expert. Make sure to get in touch with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney as soon as you can. Their help could be the difference between getting the settlement you need or an unsatisfactory end.

Get Medical Help

Regardless of the severity of your injury, the first step towards healing is getting to a doctor. Not only can they get you the immediate medical attention you need, but they create the start of a paper trail that details how you were injured. When you apply for workers’ comp in Columbia, you’ll need some kind of documentation or evidence to receive fair compensation down the line. Because of this, it’s important to keep things like this documented throughout the entire process. Before seeking medical attention, you should first check with your supervisor or manager. Many times, your employer has a specific doctor in the area that treats injured employees.

Submit an Injury Report

Time is of the essence when it comes to workers’ compensation cases. According to the Missouri Department of Labor, an employee only has a window of 30 days to complete your injury report. If it’s not done in this time, you could be denied your benefits. The injury report will ask you about the circumstances of your injury, and may ask some of these questions:

  • Who were you with when you were injured?
  • Where and when did the injury occur?
  • What events led to your injury?
  • How exactly were you injured?

Your employer should provide you with the paperwork necessary to report the injury, but this may not always be the case. A lawyer could help sort out any confusing or difficult communication between you and your employer. They can also help you handle further communication once the claims process begins and answer your questions about how to apply for workers’ compensation in Columbia.

Let Your Employer Take Over

Once you’ve started receiving treatment for your injuries and you’ve reported your injury through the proper channels, it’s the responsibility of your employer to handle your claim. Your employer will work with their insurance provider to get started. The insurance company will want to fully and completely assess your injuries, that way they can give you proper compensation. They will likely bring on an adjuster, someone who will speak with you and collect evidence for the insurance company.

This is exactly where your lawyer would intervene. With their know-how, they can easily navigate the difficult conversation you would normally have to have with the adjuster or insurance agency alone. You can rest easy knowing that you have someone in your corner who has only your best interests in mind.

Call Chris Miller for Your Work Comp Worries

Getting the workers’ compensation claim started is only one aspect of the entire process. You’ve got a long road ahead of you, which you will have to face while also recovering from a traumatic injury. That’s why you need someone to help you through the entire process of how to apply for workers’ compensation in Columbia, from start to finish. If you’re looking for someone who can handle your case with the compassion you deserve and the care you need right here in Columbia, call the Law Office of Chris Miller. We’ll get you the settlement you need, while you focus on healing.


Free Case Consultation

    By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from The Law Office of Chris Miller. Message and data rates may apply.