Can I Move With My Kids?

Under Missouri law, there are very strict requirements that you must follow in order to move your children after a custody order has been entered.  At least sixty (60) days in advance of the move, you must provide the other parent with notice of your intent to move via certified mail.  Such notice must contain the following:

  • The new address for where you plan on moving to;

  • The date of the move;

  • The reason why you want to move; and

  • An explanation of how the move impacts the other parent’s custody schedule.

Failure to follow this requirement could result in loss of your custody and/or visitation rights to your children.  Once the other parent receives the notice of your intent to move, they will have thirty (30) days to file an objection with the Circuit Court if they are opposed.  While the court cannot prevent you from moving, it can enter a custody modification order if it deems that the modification is in the best interests of the child because of the move.  This could either be favorable or detrimental.

Life changes happen.  Whether it be a new job, new relationship, or a family member is sick and needs help, moving sometimes becomes a necessity.  If you are planning a move, make sure to follow the above-mentioned steps and consider consulting a family law lawyer for help to make your move successful.